Hernanes aims to 'give a jolt' to his career following Olympics snub


Lazio's Hernanes has his sights set firmly on World Cup 2014 after failing to make Mano Menezes' final Brazil 18-man squad for the London Olympics.

The Biancocelesti playmaker confirmed that he has no intention of quitting the Selecao, despite the disappointment of being overlooked.

"I do not feel offended by Menezes not calling. I think I can regain his trust, although I have not been chosen in recent friendlies," he said during an interview with Placar.

"I would like to take part in World Cup 2014 and the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro."

Hernanes went on to explained how he has "four years to make a 'sprint' and give a jolt to my career."

The 27-year-old enjoyed an excellent debut season in Italy after joining Lazio from Sao Paulo in 2010, scoring 12 goals from midfield. However, he was inconsistent in his second campaign with the Serie A club.

"If it were not for my injury I could have done even better last season [2011-12]," he claimed, however.

"I went over the goal I set for myself and I am happy to have earned the admiration of the Lazio fans, but I need to improve the consistency of my performances."

The midfielder has recently joined up with his Lazio team-mates for the start of their pre-season training ahead of the new Serie A campaign, which begins on August 25.

Leave a Reply