Cristiano Ronaldo: Sir Alex Ferguson is 'special'

Madrid and former Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has lavished praise on manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who is celebrating 25 years in charge at Old Trafford, for the influence the Scot has had on his career.


But the 26-year-old did not wish to make a judgement on whether he is better than Jose Mourinho, his current boss at the Bernabeu, insisting that both men are "special".

Ronaldo arrived at United in 2003, as the Red Devils' first Portuguese signing, for a mere £12.25 million (€14.2m). But six years later, the club sold him to Madrid for a world record £80m (€93m).

"Sir Alex has a special place in my life," Ronaldo told The Daily Mirror. "In fact, he was the main man. I was not famous, I was not a star. I arrived at Old Trafford as just another young talent.

"He was the one who told me to do all the right things. He gave me the opportunity to play in one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"So he is one of the most important people in the world for me."

In comparison to Mourinho, the Portugal international said: "You can’t tell the difference [in terms of their ability]. They are ­incomparable. They have different ideas, ­different opinions. For me they are both the best in the world.

"I worked with Sir Alex for a few years and I know he deserves ­everything that he has achieved in his career. He works so hard, he is clever, he has experience, he is a human guy.

"Mourinho is similar, but he is younger. I have worked for a while with Mourinho now too so I’m entitled to say they are both very special. It’s not just Mourinho who’s special. They’re both ­special! This is why I like them both so much." [Goal.com]

Leave a Reply