Puyol and Valdes look forward to tough game against Manchester United and the Spanish defender wants Guardiola to stay on as the Catalans' coach after

Carles Puyol hopes Pep Guardiola will stay on as coach of Barcelona regardless of the result against Manchester United in Saturday's Champions League final.

Speaking at the pre-match press conference, both Puyol and goalkeeper Victor Valdes offered offered their thoughts ahead of the game, and they expect plenty of action, barring a Guardiola exit.

The coach has been linked with a departure after the final, but Puyol has other ideas.

"I hope he does not leave. For me he is the best coach in the world and hopefully he will be with us for many years," Puyol told the press.

Moving on to the match itself, and his chances of returning to fitness in time after his recent knee injury, he added: "I am felling very well. I have been able to prepare and if the coach feels it necessary then I can play. I am 100 per cent [fit]. I have been able to train a lot, even though I was not able to play much following the injury.

"Everyone is looking forward to the game, the whole team is looking forward to it and it is great to be here."

Valdes, though, has only one thing on his mind - winning.

"Anything can happen in a final, especially against the team we are playing against. But, we are here to win. We have to try to win," said the goalkeeper.

"Manchester United have a great potential and I hope for an intense final.

"Both teams have improved a lot [since 2009]. I think we are harder. But we will be playing a Manchester United side with great attacking potential."

Asked about the 1992 final which Johan Cruyff won with Barcelona as a coach at Wembley against Sampdoria, the goalkeeper added: "The intention is to carry on making history. Cruyff has always been a reference, and Guardiola has transmitted this to us ever since he arrived."

Leave a Reply