Van Persie: I will not extend my contract at Arsenal

Arsenal's captain Robin van Persie has confirmed that he will not sign a new contract at the club.

Van Persie future has long been a subject of speculation, with the likes of Manchester City and Juventus are rumored to be hoping to sign the striker, who has one year left to run the current deal at the Emirates.

EPL-Arsenal v Norwich City, Robin van Persie

The 29-year has now been informed fans via his official website that he will not extend the stay in North London /.

"This is an update to fans about my current situation," she was the Dutch international statement read. "I have been silent out of respect and loyalty for the club and as agreed with Mr Wenger and Mr Gazidis, but because there is so much speculation in the media, I think it's fair for you to know what really happened at this time.

"As announced earlier this year I attended a meeting with Mr. Boss and Gazidis after this season is a meeting about the future strategy of the club and their policies or contracts .. Financial terms have not been discussed, because it is not my priority at all."

The striker then said that he and management did not agree on how Arsenal should move forward in trying to build a champion, and that differences of opinion have made him decide to not renew his contract.

"I personally have a great season but my goal is to win trophies with the team and bring the club back to glory days," he said. "To my great respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I do not want to go into any detail, but unfortunately in this meeting has again become clear to me that we do not agree in many aspects of the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

"I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to renew my contract with You, the fans, of course, have the right to disagree with my views and decisions and I will always respect your opinion .."

Productive forwards went on to say that he has always given his all for the club and that he felt as though he had grown up on Arsenal.

"I love the club and fans, no matter what happens," the statement said. "I grew up and became human for me at Arsenal FC. Everyone at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I've always given my all (and more) and off the field.

"I am very proud to be part of a fantastic club for 8 years. Once Mr Gazidis was back from a 2-week holiday in America next meeting will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments."

The news was a bitter blow for Arsene Wenger, who said on Tuesday that it is important to keep the PFA player of the Arsenal "at all costs."

A series of clubs across Europe tend to be interested in signing the player, who netted 37 goals in all competitions last season.

Leave a Reply