England's Fabio Capello: David Beckham is not in my plans

England coach Fabio Capello has dealt a heavy blow to David Beckham's dreams of representing his country again by revealing that he has no intention of selecting the former captain in any of his squads.


Beckham missed out on the Italian’s 2010 World Cup squad because of an Achilles injury but he did fly out to South Africa in an off-field role.

The former Three Lions captain admitted last week he still has desires of playing for his country, but he may have to wait until Capello leaves after Euro 2012 next summer, and at the age of 36 that could limit future opportunities.

When Capello was asked about Beckham being part of his off-field setup or being selected for Euro 2012, he told Sky Sports News: “I haven’t thought about this.

“No, I think he will only be involved in the Olympic Games. I don’t know. I have time to decide. Is he in my plans now? No.”

The 36-year-old has won 116 caps with his last appearance coming in a win against Belarus in late 2009.

He is, though, expected to be part of the Team GB squad for next summer's Olympic Games in London. [Goal.com]

Leave a Reply