Aguero wants to be City's Maradona

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero has revealed that he dreams of matching Diego Maradona’s achievements with Napoli, by doing the same for his current club.

Maradona reached the peak of his football career while at Napoli and Aguero is hoping he can emulate his father-in-law during his time at the Etihad stadium.

The Argentine told reporters on Monday: "Yes, definitely it’s my dream doing what Maradona did for Napoli, doing the same for Manchester City but I don’t want to talk about individuality, it’s important Manchester City do well as a team."

City are preparing to make the trip to Italy as they face the Serie A side on Tuesday night in what could be a potential group decider in the Champions League.

However, Aguero is not expecting any special treatment despite the link to the former Argentina national team coach and added: "I can’t imagine special treatment for me tomorrow. Every game excites me but the fact Diego was an Argentine player will probably help me.

"For the Napoli fans Maradona is the king of football. In the past he told me everything about Napoli and also I’ve seen on TV what he’s done for Napoli, how important he was for the fans.

"Obviously it’s a reason to be proud, for me, because I’m an Argentine. I couldn’t speak with him in the last days because of the situation with the loss of his mother and I just want to send best wishes to be very close to him in this moment."

The former Atletico Madrid striker also rubbished rumours suggesting he is set to leave Manchester to join their Champions League Group A rivals Napoli after reports claimed that Ezequiel Lavezzi had attempted to lure him to the Naples outfit while the pair were on international duty with Argentina.

"We are just speaking about football when we are together with the national team because we never have a chance to speak together so we usually talk about other things and also it would be a lack of respect towards our clubs [to discuss a potential move away]," he said. [Goal.com]

Leave a Reply